Friday, November 30, 2007

Remembering on World AIDS Day

When I was two-feet tall I shyly walked into a kindergarten classroom. As my big brother and sister let go of my hand, I looked around the room at 17 strangers. Within a few minutes Bernie and I had become the best of friends and vowed to be friends forever and ever.

Nine years later I stared at my friend, laying in her open casket.

Born prematurely, Bernie needed a blood transfusion when she was 2 days old. It was the 80's and no one knew about HIV or AIDS, including the Red Cross. Before she left the hospital Bernie had contracted HIV.

Bernie is one of millions of children who died of HIV and AIDS. These victims deserve the support of the entire world. From a simple prayer to donating to find a cure, be involved in one of the largest health crisis of our time.

No comments: